Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blue Chip Farms










Saturday, April 17 … just so that you don’t get confused by the pictures I am going to attach … see my camera needed charging and I didn’t set the date on my camera and now I don’t know how to change it on my photos … any suggestions would be greatly appreciated otherwise, please ignore the date on the pictures!
Blue Chip is the stud that owns some of the horses at Castle Hill like Sapphire and her half brother, Domino – an awesome stallion who has fathered another 2 foals hence my visit to Blue Chip … to meet little Doozy.
After work on Saturday, Carrie, Relda, Dillon and myself all packed ourselves up into the truck and travelled about an hour north (I think) …
Blue Chip is over 650 ha … you get there and there are just fields and fields with hundreds and hundreds of horses! Field and barn, field and barn!
When we arrived at the office we all packed into this lady’s car whose name escapes me and off we go to the maternity ward where Suzie and her 2 week old foal are standing with their field mates … in the pictures Doozy is the little chestnut! Suzie is a massive horse, who appears to be loving motherhood, the calm that these mares appear to have is amazing, they seem so proud of their offspring … and she was very ready to be showing anybody remotely interested her new baby!
The maternity barn is another interesting case, all the mares have either just dropped foals or are just about to … the mares that are about to drop have tail bandages tied to their stalls so at the first sign of foaling the person on duty will do some ‘labour prep’ – I assume that this only involves wrapping their tails and leaving them to the job!
At the end of the barn was a standardbred mare with a four hour foal, sadly the foal is not expected to make it because he is very small and weak.
Driving out was also amazing, driving past mares that are at different stages of pregnancy and fields of young horses … such an amazing place! And it is so big that it takes a week to mow the lawn around the perimter!
Such a cool day!

No comments:

Post a Comment